Rights for Foreigners


Obtaining a « TITRE DE SEJOUR » (residence permit)


I am a PhD student.  I will be studying in France.  Which status should I choose - student status or researcher status?

Firstly, you must ensure that you have the choice between the two statuses. Obtaining research status is subject to certain conditions (see first question in the Research section).


Who is eligible for researcher status?

Any foreign"researcher", teacher, professor, lecturer, engineer, doctoral or post-doctoral student enrolled in a French university and holding an employment contract or a doctoral contract from a French research organization.

Caution! Doctoral students enrolled in a French university but who do not hold an employment contract or a hosting agreement in the host research centre must request the status of "student."