The Université de Toulouse has focused on China as one of its major areas of cooperation.
In 2012, this objective was crystallised by the opening of a permanent office in Chongqing, in the heart of the Sichuan International Studies University (SISU). The primary purpose of this outpost is to ensure the promotion of the Université de Toulouse to Chinese students and to promote mobility in both directions.
Actions taken since its creation:
- Deepening cooperation with existing partners and starting collaborations with new Chinese institutions.
The new Memorandums of Understanding (MOU) signed between the Université de Toulouse and Chinese institutions since the creation of the outpost in China: WUHAN UNIVERSITY, SOUTHERN MEDICAL UNVIVERSITY , SHANDONG UNIVERSITY, SICHUAN UNIVERSITY, TSINGHUA UNIVERSITY, NANKAI UNIVERSITY, HUAZHONG UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE & TECHNOLOGY, RENMIN UNIVERSITY, BEIJING NORMAL UNIVERSITY, NANJING UNIVERSITY, PEKING UNIVERSITY, DONGHUA UNIVERSITY, ZHONG SHAN UNIVERSITY.
The amendments and/or signed student exchange agreements between member institutions and Chinese partner establishments:
- INSA Toulouse with Sichuan University
- Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier with Sichuan University
- Tououse INP with Sichuan University
- Toulouse School of Economics with Wuhan University
- Toulouse School of Economics with Tsinghua University
- Toulouse School of Economics SE with Peking University
- Science Po Toulouse with Tongji University
Double degree programmes established between member institutions and Chinese establishments:
- Mines Albi with Tongji at Master's/Engineer level
- UTC1-AEC with the University of International Business and Economics at Bachelor's level
Programmes being negotiated with Chinese institutions:
- Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier with East China Jiaotong University for an EEA Bachelor's programme
- Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier with Tongji University for a Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering programme
- Université Toulouse - Jean Jaurès with Beijing Normal University: Annual symposium on sociology. The last symposium was held at the BNU in October 2015 on the following theme: "Perspectives on Social Changes and Governance in China and France: Theory and Practice”.
- The Université Toulouse III - Paul Sabatier and Toulouse INP with Zhongshan University, cooperation on the "Tianqin" research project (a major research project on detecting gravitational waves in space) is under discussion.
- Organising regular official visits between the Université de Toulouse and Chinese partner establishments.
the Université de Toulouse and/or member institution executives regularly come to China to strengthen links with Chinese partners, one or more official visits were organised at the following universities in the last three years:
Tsinghua University, Peking University, Beijing Normal University, Renmin University, Tongji University, Fudan University, Nanjing University, Sichuan University, Xiamen University, Zhongshan University, Hongkong University, Hongkong Polytechnical University, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology, Yunnan University, South China University of Technology, Sichuan International Studies University.
In the other direction, the Université de Toulouse often receives Chinese delegations in Toulouse. Top delegations from partner universities have visited Toulouse in the past two years:
Tongji University, Xiamen University, Zhongshan University, SouthWest Univrsity, Hong KongPolytechnic University, Nankai University, Northeastern University, East China Jiaotong University.
- Promoting the Université de Toulouse, its member institutions and courses throughout China.
This action takes the form of visits to Chinese universities as well as participating in activities organized by the French Embassy in China and the consulates. Since the creation of the outpost, the Université de Toulouse has visited 20 provinces in China and more than 40 Chinese universities.
Visits to Chinese schools have also been organised to introduce students to the quality of the French higher education system and attract the best students before they go to Chinese universities.
In October 2015 the Université de Toulouse organised a tour of very high level French-speaking high schools with representatives of UT1, UT3 and UJJ: The Yunnan School of Foreign Languages, Chengdu School of Foreign Languages and Shanghai Pudong School of Foreign Languages.
- Assisting member institutions to recruit Chinese students.
Institutions like université Toulouse 1 Capitole, université Toulouse - Jean Jaurès, université Toulouse III-Paul Sabatier and toulouse INP have benefited from help in recruiting students from undergraduate level to PhD.