A PhD in France? Do it at Toulouse !
The Université de Toulouse is home to top-ranking research centres covering all areas of sciences and technology, the humanities and social sciences with 15 doctoral schools.
> visit the page "Doctoral programmes"
A PhD in the Université de Toulouse is a 3 year contract with the university, an enterprise, a research institution or a local authority. It consists of a scientific project developed among an internationally renowned research laboratory. This scientific work is supervised by a qualified professor and the thesis can be fully written in english.
How to apply
- Candidates must hold a degree equivalent to a Bologna complying Master degree (5 year of Higher Education / 300 ECTS) with research experience,
- If you are a qualified engineer (representing five years of higher education with research experience), you can apply to do a PhD,
- A minimum level of English or French proficiency is required for all applicants.
Making your application
- Send a CV and a short application letter including a brief description of your research background to: phd-international [at] univ-toulouse.fr
- The International PhD Office will help you to find doctoral school and thesis supervisor.
Theses proposal database
A list of available theses proposal is available for international candidates in the framework of (PhD exchange programs (Brazil, Mexico, Chile, Indonesia).
If you find a thesis proposal that matches with the research you expect to do for your PhD, apply directly on the website.
The doctorate (PhD)
Once accepted to do your PhD, the candidate signs the Université Fédérale Toulouse Midi-Pyrénées Thesis Charter.
After a minimum of three years in a research program culminating in the defense of a thesis, successful candidates are awarded with a doctoral degree, the highest degree offered in France’s higher education system.
Studies within the École des Docteurs of the Université Fédérale Toulouse Midi-Pyrénées are now seen as providing professional research experience.
Before the arrival : a unique welcome kit in France called Toul’Box and designed to help students with administrative routine, house-hunting, language learning etc.
> visit the dedicated web site
A hub of 300m2 dedicated to all French and international students with the aim of offering services and advices, regarding accommodation , cultural and sports activities, transport, assistance for studying with a handicap, academic programs, administrative routine, residence permit.