Skip to main content

18/05/2018 - 15:02

Foreign students

Foreign students


European citizens

Citizens from member countries of the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland do not need a visa to visit France. A valid passport or identity card is required.

Nationals of non-european countries

A visa is required for foreigners who do not belong to the EEA. The request must be made to the French consulate or embassy in your country.
On arrival in France, foreign students who have a D student visa do not need to request a residence permit.

The following, however, are required to apply for a residence permit at the Préfecture:

  • students who have the Visa C “concours” and who have now passed the exam,
  • those who have Visa D “mineur scolarisé” and who have just attained majority (18 years old those who have Visa D “stagiaire” and are of Algerian nationality.

On arrival, students in possession of the D student visa do nevertheless have to send to the OFII (French Office for Immigration and Integration) the following documentation: their entry form to France (provided by the French consular service together with the visa) correctly filled in (the address is very important) as well as a photocopy of their passport, their visa and the entry stamp to France or to the Schengen area.

The OFII will send them an invitation to go to the office to have a sticker validating their visa affixed to their passport.

For any additional question that wouldn't be answered on this page, please refer our Frequently asked questions