Finding accommodation may well be a real challenge and should be undertaken as early as possible; things are easier on the sites of Albi, Auch, Castres, Figeac, Foix, Montauban, Rodez or Tarbes than in Toulouse which counts 90,000 students. Please keep in mind that proof of address is required by many organizations (banks, Prefecture…).
- University Residence Halls : www.crous-toulouse.fr
- On-campus housing when offered
- Private students residence : www.adele.org
- Private-sector rentals (direct from the owner to the renter or through a real-estate agencies)
- Rooms in private houses (direct from the owner to the renter or through a real-estate agencies)
- Short-stay accomodation (youth hostels, hotel residence...)
- "Foyers" students residence : www.unme-asso.com
- HLM subszidized low-cost social housing : www.service-public.fr
Before finding your accomodation
- find a guarantor or “garant”, i.e. someone or an organization who will pay the rent if you happen to be unable to pay yourself. There are two organizations available :
- LOCA-PASS guarantee only for students under 30 who have been granted a CROUS scholarship and living in some halls of residence or social housing flats.
- Garantie CLE : available to all the other French and foreign students registered in higher education institutions, only for students under 28.
- assess your budget :
- the rent should not exceed 30% of your total resources
- when signing the lease, you will have to pay : the deposit, the first rent, the estate agency fees. In total a sum equal to two-month rent minimum and up to four or five-month rent maximum !
After finding your accommodation
- do not forget to take a rental insurance. It is mandatory.
- apply for housing benefits : www.caf.fr
To go further